So a couple of years ago, I found this amazing recipe for Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs and when I made it, it was the best thing I’ve ever tasted. Like it totally ruined regular meatballs for me. Every time I see a meatball now, I think “Is there a hidden piece of
cheese in there for me?” When I don’t find it, I’m always disappointed. I ended up craving the meatballs again, so I decided instead of waiting for someone to make it, I’ll make it myself! Check out how I made it and if you decide to make it too, I hope you enjoy it!
Total Cook time: 40 – 60 minutes
Serving Size: 4 – 6 servings
1 pound ground turkey, room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plain
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon curry powder, no salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup Rancher Queso Fresco, crumbled
1 tablespoon oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 can of crushed tomatoes, canned
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, place ground turkey on the bottom.
- Add all the ingredients listed under “Meatballs Ingredients.”
- Use one hand or both to mix ingredients together (I used both hands).
- Once the ingredients have been mixed together thoroughly (don’t over-mix), use a tablespoon to scoop out meatballs.
- Shape the ground turkey into a round shape (circular, ball) and use your finger to place a hole in the middle, half deep.
- Once the ground turkey has the hole, place the Rancher Queso Fresco cheese into the hole.
- Close it over and make sure the meatball is still a round shape.
- Once meatballs are stuffed with cheese, place them in a baking container (I used a rectangular glass baking dish) and cover using aluminum foil.
- Bake the meatballs for approximately 25 – 30 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, start on the marinara sauce.
- For the marinara sauce, in a pan with medium to medium high heat, heat up oil.
- Once oil is heated, put in onions and garlic, sauteing for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, and italian seasoning.
- Mix everything together and allow it to boil before reducing heat.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the marinara sauce is simmering, or after the sauce is done (depending on your time management, the sauce should be done before the meatballs, but to each their own!), remove the foil and place the meatballs back into the oven for 2 – 5 minutes, or until they are browned.
- Take the meatballs out of the oven and place them in the pot with the marinara sauce.
- Mix marinara sauce and meatballs together and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Take pot off burner, sprinkle top with cilantro, and enjoy!