I’ve been craving baked potatoes for a while now. There’s something about the potatoes with the meat, cheese, sour cream….. I can go on and on. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me!), I didn’t have anything other than sweet potatoes. What’s a girl to do! I decided
to use some leftover chicken (check out earlier post about ) and make it with what I had on hand. Luckily, i had asparagus on hand to spice it up a bit. Check it out.
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, for seasoning
- 5 – 8 pieces of asparagus
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 – 3 Honey Garlic Jalepeno Chicken, shredded and chopped (recipe can be found here)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons heavy cream, or milk
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry sweet potatoes.
- Cut sweet potatoes vertically.
- Coat the flesh side (not the skin) of the sweet potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place sweet potatoes on aluminum foil in a baking pan and place in oven.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, cut onion, asparagus and Honey Garlic Jalepeno Chicken.
- Heat frying pan and 1 tablespoon Olive Oil using medium high heat.
- Place asparagus in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add onions, minced garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper to the asparagus in the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add Honey Garlic Jalepeno Chicken and cook for 3 – 5 minutes.When ingredients are cooked, onions translucent and asparagus tender, take frying pan of the stove.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, take them out of the oven and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once slightly cooled, begin to scoop the sweet potatoes from the skin and place in a container. Make sure to leave a little in the skin to keep the shape.
- Mix the sweet potatoes together until you get a slightly chunky consistency.
- Add heavy cream to the sweet potatoes.
- Mixed together then add to the chicken and asparagus mix in the frying pan.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Once everything is mixed, spoon mixture into the skin of the sweet potatoes. I ended up using 3 of the skins instead of 4.
- Make sure to shape the mixture so that it won’t fall off while baking. Add jalepenos on top. (A different option for the jalepenos who be to saute them with the asparagus and chicken).
- Add cheese.
- And place them back into the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove, let rest, and enjoy!